Friday, November 6, 2009

Transcript of John Newton's speech on his confession

John Newton: This is my confession. You must use it. Names, ships' records, ports, people; everything I remember is in here. Although my memory is fading, I remember two things very clearly: I am a great sinner and Christ is a great savior. You must publish it, blow a hole in their boat with it, damn them with it. I wish I could remember all their names, my 20,000 ghosts. They all had names, beautiful African names. We called them with just grunts, noises. We were apes, they were humans. (cries) I'm weeping. I couldn't weep until I wrote this. "I once was blind, but now I see." Didn't I write that, too?

William Wilberforce: Yes, you did.

John Newton: Well now at last it's true.

1 comment:

  1. Smiling always with a never fading serenity of countenance, and flourishing in an immortal youth. See the link below for more info.


    #fading
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete