Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Transcript of Dr. Wick's speech on ambivalence

Dr. Wick: You signed yourself into our care. We decide when you leave. You're not ready for it, Susanna. Your progress has plateaued. Does that disappoint you?

Susanna: I'm ambivalent. In fact, that's my new favorite word.

Dr. Wick: Do you know what that means,ambivalence?

Susanna: I don't care.

Dr. Wick: If it's your favorite word, I would've...

Susanna: It means "I don't care." That's what it means.

Dr. Wick: On the contrary, Susanna. Ambivalence suggests strong feelings, in opposition. The prefix, as in ambidextrous means "both." The rest of it, in Latin, means "vigor." The word suggests that you are torn between two opposing courses of action.

Susanna: Will I stay or will I go?

Dr. Wick: Am I sane or am I crazy?

Susanna: Those aren't courses of action.

Dr. Wick: They can be, dear, for some.

Susanna: Well, then, it's the wrong word.

Dr. Wick: No, I think it's perfect. "What world is this? What kingdom? What shores of what worlds?" It's a very big question you're faced with, Susanna. The choice of your life. How much will you indulge in your flaws? What are your flaws? Are they flaws? If you embrace them, will you commityourself to hospital for life? Big questions, big decisions. Not surprising you profess carelessness about them.

Susanna: Is that it?

Dr. Wick: For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment